Please Wait a Moment

Collegiate Handbook

Graduation with Honors Information

How does a student apply for Graduation with Honors?

The student does not need to apply online for Graduation with Honors.

Students who are interested in receiving Graduation with Honors must first be inducted into NHSDA. If they have not, see the Steps for Induction. It is recommended that the time between Induction and receiving Graduation with Honors be spread out by a few semesters to allow students adequate time to complete the additional points and writing sample. However, if this is not possible, students who have met the requirements for Graduation with Honors may be Inducted and then the Chapter Sponsor can immediately confer Graduation with Honors to the student’s Induction via the NHSDA website.

At the Collegiate Level, the student must hold an NDEO Undergraduate or Graduate Student Membership at time of Graduation with Honors, maintain a GPA of at least 3.5/4.0, and earn a minimum of number points of approved activities in three strands (Artistic Merit, Leadership, and Academic Achievement) in 6 of 10 categories as cited in the NHSDA Collegiate National Point System. 

Students should continue to track their points using the Points Tracking Form, or using another method such as a spreadsheet, portfolio, or online system. Documentation must be submitted to the Chapter Sponsor by the requested deadline (to be determined by the sponsor). The Chapter Sponsor will then log into and access their NHSDA portal to confer the Graduation with Honors to the student's Induction

What role does the Chapter Sponsor play in the Graduation with Honors process?

The Chapter Sponsor should explain the criteria for Graduation with Honors and notify students that records of their activities will be maintained. Records for each prospective and active inductee should be made available for their perusal. The Chapter Sponsor also should provide a calendar that specifies deadlines for submitting documentation for Graduation with Honors. 

The Chapter Sponsor will be responsible for approving / verifying points earned and for determining when each student has met the criteria for Graduation with Honors. Once documentation of points has been provided by the student, the Chapter Sponsor will fill out an Induction Rubric with the Graduation with Honors information for each applicant to maintain for the Chapter’s records. They can then log on to and access their NHSDA portal to confer the Graduation with Honors to the student's Induction. The Chapter Sponsor should submit induction approvals and payments at least three weeks before the induction ceremony in order to allow ample time for shipping of the Graduation with Honors medallions.

Chapter Sponsors must also complete the transaction for Graduation with Honors fees (which include the certificate and the Graduation with Honors medallion) and order the optional honor pins or cords if desired by students. Students/parents cannot pay individual induction fees or order pins, cords, or the Graduation with Honors medallion.

The Chapter Sponsor should tell students to have all proof of points earned turned in at least 5 weeks before the graduation ceremony date. This gives the teacher a week to assimilate the names/points, complete the Graduation with Honors Rubric for each student, confer Graduation with Honors, collect the fees, submit payment, order the pins or honor cords, and plan the optional recognition ceremony.  Please note that Graduation with Honors medallions will be mailed to school address, so please plan to have them arrive before staff leaves for Winter or Summer break.

What do students get when they receive Graduation with Honors?

All students will receive official certificates that the Chapter Sponsor can print and a Graduation with Honors medallion mailed to the school from the NDEO Home Office. There is an additional fee for the blue/white Honor Cords, which may be purchased when conferring Graduation with Honors. 

When are students granted Graduation with Honors? 

NHSDA Graduation with Honors recognition is conducted on a rolling basis, with Chapter Sponsors determining the timeline for recognition that works best for the Chapter. There is no national deadline for granting Graduation with Honors status to an Inductee.

The Chapter Sponsor may decide to confer the recognition at a public ceremony (other than graduation), or may choose to distribute the materials privately. In either case, the student should wear the honor cord  and/or Graduation with Honors medallion at all graduation ceremonies, provided it is allowed for in school policy.