CALL FOR PROPOSALS
Deadline to Submit: March 1, 2019
Submit Proposal | Pay Proposal Fee
Jazz dance is a fusion at its core, expressed in multiple ways. What styles and aesthetics fuse together in your signature jazz style and how do you trace your jazz lineage? Do you see the African roots in today’s jazz dance practices, and how do you teach jazz in a way that honors its origins? How do globalization, technology, and social media inspire new hybrids and fusions that are rooted in jazz dance?
How do you connect to authentic jazz dance in your teaching or choreography? Does your jazz practice unite diverse populations or serve your community in a unique way? In what ways do you connect to music? How does jazz connect to race, racism, gender, age? How do you build relationships across sectors, ages, cultures? How do jazz styles relate to the way they are performed (e.g. competitively, socially, recreationally, etc.)? Do you engage in or utilize research in your practice?
How do you build community in your jazz classes? Do you have an innovative way of using jazz to engage, inspire, or effect change in your community? In what ways do you interact with colleagues to advance jazz dance in your teaching environment and your community? What is the position of jazz dance in your place of employment, and how do you advocate for jazz dance?
Conference sessions may include
You may only submit one proposal as Lead Presenter; you may be co-presenter on additional presentations.
- Movement Sessions (60 minutes)
- Paper Presentations (20 minutes with 10 minutes Q&A)
- Panels (60 minutes; 3-5 panelists)
- Jam Sessions (20 minutes) - Explore ideas. Jams might explore a warm-up exercise, a brief across the floor combination, or a community building activity.
- Choreography as Community (90 minutes) - Explore movement ideas/phrases with conference participants; to be performed informally at the conference's conclusion.
- March 1, 2019 - Proposal submission and proposal fee payment deadline
- April 1, 2019 - Accepted presenters notified
- April 30, 2019 - Presenter NDEO membership deadline (must stay active through conference dates)
- May 31, 2019 - Presenter registration and payment deadline; Receipt deadline for any updates to session and presenter information