Jazz Dance ~ Location, Lodging and Travel Information
Jazz Dance: Roots and Branches in Practice
Salve Regina University
100 Ochre Point Ave - Newport, RI 02840
NDEO is providing two discounted lodging options for conference attendees.
1. Salve Regina Dorm Rooms
Approximately 40 dorm rooms (double and triple occupancy) are available for rent on campus.
- All conference activities will take place on the Salve Regina Campus.
- Cost: $195 inclusive for three night stay 7/31-8/3 (no tax) in a double occupancy room; $255 inclusive for three night stay 7/31-8/3 in a single occupancy room.
- You may add on additional nights before or after your stay for $65/night.
- To register: Select this add on when you register for the conference.
- Available until 6/17/16 or until rooms are filled.
2. Howard Johnson Inn - Newport Area / Middletown
- 351 W Main Rd, Middletown, RI 02842
- Cost: $139/night plus tax 7/31-8/3. If you wish to come earlier for the weekend Newport Jazz Festival, the rate will be $239/night plus tax.
- To register: Call hotel directly at 401-849-2000 and ask for reservations or register online here. Request a room for the NDEO Jazz Conference and use the code CGNDEO.
- Available until 7/1/16 or until rooms are filled.
- Please note that the hotel is 2.5 miles from Salve Regina campus and takes about 15 minutes to make the trip. The hotel does not have a shuttle bus, so you will need to take an Orange cab, Uber, or rental car.
The closest airport is TF Green. Sharing a taxi or Uber is the most convenient option to travel from the airport to Salve Regina. Orange Cab offers a shuttle from TF Green to the Newport Visitor Center, and then you can take a trolley to campus. You can make advance reservations on their website. With summer traffic the commute will be at least an hour. There is a $4 toll to cross the Newport bridge (included in shuttle price).
What to Do in Newport
A tourist destination, Newport is filled with shopping, nightlife, and cultural activities. Visit Discover Newport to see all that the area has to offer.
Newport Jazz Festival (7/29-7/31)
Come a few days early and add some music to your jazz experience! Started in 1954, the world famous Newport Jazz Festival brings three full days of music greats to Fort Adams State Park. Accommodations are generally quite expensive during the festival but Jazz Conference attendees may take advantage of special discounted lodging available through Salve Regina at $65/night for a double or triple occupancy dorm room. You will have the opportunity to select this option when you register for Jazz Conference. For information on the festival and ticketing options, click here.