According to the National Center for Education Statistics, there were 95,726 public schools during the 2003-04 school year. (That's up from the 85,393 public schools that were around a decade earlier.)
The following list includes statistics about education in the United States, such as the number of students in public and private elementary and secondary schools, higher education enrollment, and more:
- Public elementary school pupils, pre-K–grade 8 (2007): 34,592,000
- Public secondary school pupils, grades 9–12 (2007): 15,018,000
- Private elementary school pupils, K–grade 8 (2007): 4,784,000
- Private secondary school pupils, grades 9–12 (2007): 1,368,000
- High school dropout rate, ages 16–24 (2006): 9.3%
- Total 2- and 4-year colleges and universities (2007): 4,314
- Total higher education enrollment (2006): 17,921,804
- Undergraduate (2007): 15,385,000
- Graduate (2007): 2,224,000
- Professional (2007): 348,000
How NDEO Advocates
How Can You Advocate?
Statistics on Dance Education in the United States
- Approximately 665 postsecondary institutions offer dance minor and major programs in the United States.1
- According to Luke Kahlich’s dissertation (1990), 90% of students graduating with MFA degrees will eventually teach in postsecondary education.2
- Best estimates indicate there may be 6,000 K-12 schools in the United States that offer dance as part of the K-12 curriculum.3
- 7% of US students in K-12 education are taught by qualified PTE and FTE dance specialists.4
- 3.5 million children receive dance instruction from dance specialists (of 50m total in US K-12 education).
- It is reported that approximately 57% of American children receive no training in dance education.5
- Of the remaining 43% who do receive some form of dance taught in schools:
- 36% receive some instruction usually delivered in either physical education programs taught by physical education teachers and coaches or in other classes taught by generalist teachers, volunteers, parents, artists in schools, etc.
- 7 % taught by full- and part-time dance specialists.
Private Dance Studios and Schools
- There are approximately 32,000 studios in the United States.6
1 Data from NDEO Higher Education database listing dance minor and major programs in postsecondary education.
2 Kahlich, L. An analysis of the Master of Fine Arts degree as preparation for dance faculty in United States' institutions of higher education, (1990).
3 Data from NDEO K-12 database listing schools teaching dance.
4 National Center for Education Statistics. Arts Education in Public Elementary and Secondary Schools. (Publication No. NCES 95-082). Washington, D.C.: U.S. Department of Education. 1995: 11. The National Report Card (1997). Washington, D.C.: National Assessments in Education Progress.
5 National Center for Education Statistics. Arts Education in Public Elementary and Secondary Schools. (Publication No. NCES 95-082). Washington, D.C.: U.S. Department of Education. 1995: 11.
6 Data collected from 1996 study by IRS designations cited 24,000+ schools. Costume companies in 2008 cite mailing lists of 32,000+.